POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 9 Mar 2004 10:58:10
Message: <404de992$1@news.povray.org>
>   I would compare it to 16-bit vs. 24-bit sound sampling. A layman does
> not hear any difference at all between 16-bit (eg. CD) and 24-bit sound,
> but professionals would not work with anything less than 24. The same
> goes for 44kHz vs. 96kHz sample rate...

That is exactly to the point: "would not _work_ with anything else
than...". The extra resolution with 24bit/96kHz comes very handy when
you have to normalize, compress, equalize etc. Same way as in image
editing. But I doubt if there are many professionals who can hear the
difference between 16/44 and 24/96 _all other things being equal_.

And everyone who has ever gotten familiar with Hi-Fi world know how full
of "magic bullets" it is: weights on CDs to make it sound better, all
the fancy techniques to reduce jitter in CD players. The differences in
sound quality are huge when the listener knows which equipment/brand he
is using but in a blind test the differences almost allways magically
disappear. Well, I went to off-topic, but still, the differences allways
seem to be mach larger on the paper than in practice.

Severi