POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : animations broken up : Re: animations broken up Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animations broken up
From: Hughes, B
Date: 8 Mar 2004 12:19:55
Message: <404cab3b$1@news.povray.org>
"Marton Fabo" <mor### [at] eikbmehu> wrote in message

> My question is, however, that if I have an animated scene, then invoking
> PovRay separately for each and every frame results (or is it possible to
> result) in anything different from when I invoke PR for the whole
> animation once. I understand that when I invoke PR to render a single
> frame split up into multiple parts, then there may be artifacts at the
> edges of the parts due to anti-aliasing and similar effects. That's why
> I'm asking about splitting up animations - wondering whether there are
> algorithms in PR that imply that the whole animation is computed in one
> pass.

There are a few ways this occurs... antialiasing and area_light cause a
random 'jitter' of the pixels unless you opt not to use the jittering. Also
'radiosity', 'media', and 'photons' could cause a flickering frame to frame.
In fact, normals, pigment patterns, objects, will do so too if the scale is
very small while they (or the camera) move. Saving rendering data (e.g.
radiosity, photons) isn't really useful for animations which should change
frame to frame.

So basically, to answer your question about animations/stills differing
algorithm, there is not any. POV-Ray doesn't do anything special to the
rendered output image for animations that it doesn't for non-animations or
vice versa. Each frame is just like a rendered still image. The randomness
of how pixels appear isn't completely controllable via any overall switch
either. Pixel randomness is somewhat beyond control aside from the
aforementioned 'jitter' keyword and using very high quality settings.

Hopefully I've answered completely and correctly enough. If not, someone
might come along with a more in-depth explanation.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com