POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 8 Mar 2004 04:25:53
Message: <404c3c21$1@news.povray.org>
> Personally, as I said, I would really like to see this format accepted
> for use in the image group. It seems that the arguments against it are
> mainly related to people's inertia to install the required software,
> but that personally smacks of laziness and allows the major software
> vendors to sit on their hands. If you sit still, you are going to find
> yourself more and more in difficulty trying to deal with what the rest
> of the graphics community is up to.

Even if the hardcore POV'ers decide to install jpeg2000, what about
newcomers and guests who can't see the images and say "argh, stupid, I'm
outta here". This isn't what we need. These groups should not promote rare
file-formats or provide a testing ground for file-formats. Jpeg2000 is still
rare - your posts are my first encounter with the format, and I'm not going
to install the buggy Irfanwiew again. Last time it messed up my computer.

Regards,
Hugo