POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Fernando G  del Cueto
Date: 7 Mar 2004 15:37:11
Message: <404b87f7$1@news.povray.org>
I think that the best way of adopting a format is using it. JPEG2000 is not
a closed proprietary format we should avoid. I think we should embrace it.

I agree it is still not very usable, but I also remember struggling with
JPGs ten years ago. My computer was so slow displaying them! GIFs displayed
quickly but breaking the 256-colors barrier was blissful.

About one year ago, some very important french researcher came to my
university to talk about mathematics behind the JPEG2000 format. I can't
remember much, but I remember that the demos were stunning.

JPEG2000 use will skyrocket the day IE supports it.

Fernando