POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Mar 2004 14:48:52
Message: <404b7ca4@news.povray.org>
In article <404b7a76@news.povray.org> , Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> Unlikely, I doubt there is any sigificant market for graphics viewer
> utilities even on windows. So I don't think support for jpeg2k will
> be brought to other systems by commercial software.

Actually, on Mac OS QuickTime supports it.  So in just about any decent Mac
OS newsreader and web browser one can view the image inline.  Still, there
is no value added by it being JPEG 2000 and in 16 bits per color component.
Even the most fancy hardware money can buy these days offers more than 10
bit of depth for display.  And I don't know about any hardware that uses
more than 12 bit for gamma correction.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde