POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 7 Mar 2004 13:09:06
Message: <404b6542$1@news.povray.org>
ingo wrote:

> In general, 16 bit images have their purposes, but i.m.o. showing images
> on monitors is not one of them. The main advantage of 16 bit images over
> 8 bit images is the extended contrast range. A contrast range that a crt
> can't show and lcd / plasma screens are even worse in this regard.

I think 16-bit does not mean extended contrast range but simply greater
precision leading to less banding _if_ the hardware does support it -
also better results when editing an image. I think the values
255,255,255 or 65535,65535,65535 are allways maximum (same) white. How
white that is depends on the actual hardware used. So the contrast
remains the same, only the number of grades increase.

Severi