POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Dropping the horizon : Re: Dropping the horizon Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dropping the horizon
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Mar 2004 21:12:29
Message: <404a850d$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Robison wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I cut and pasted a sky and I've got a problem with a solid blue plane
> showing
> up above the grass.  I've tried to drop it down but nothing I do moves it
> down.
> I would appreciate it if you could help me drop the sky line's horizon down
> bit.  Thank you!
>
> Michael
>
> Here is the code:
>
> #declare mysky =
> material
>     { texture
>        { pigment
>           { granite
>             color_map
>              {
>                [ 0.0     rgbft <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0> ]
>                [ 1.0     rgbft <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0> ]
>              }
>             turbulence 1.0
>             omega 0.3
>             ramp_wave
>           }
>          finish
>            { ambient 1
>            }
>        }
>     }
> sky_sphere
> { pigment
>   { gradient y color_map
>       { [0 rgb 1]
>         [.3 rgb <0,.5,1>]
>         [1 rgb z]
>       }
>   }
> }
> plane
>   { -y, -500
>     material
>       { mysky
>         scale 5000
>       }
>   }

The horizon line is usually affected by the camera location relative to
the plane.  You have not included the camera in your code.  But if it is
anywhere aroung y=0 then a plane at y -500 would give a high appearing
horizon if the camera is pointing horizontal.  The horizon appears lower
the closer the camera is to a
horizontal plane