POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Mesh etc. : Re: Mesh etc. Server Time
19 May 2024 11:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh etc.
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Mar 2004 06:22:38
Message: <4049b47e@news.povray.org>

news:40499b2f@news.povray.org...
>   UV-mapping was added as a very requested new property of the internal
> mesh primitive, but it's nothing exclusive to the mesh2 syntax.

Well yes, it's not exclusive. In fact, by looking to my scene files I
realise that my first uv-mapped meshes were actually mesh{} with uv vectors
attached (in 1999). However, the few tools that supported it were faulty and
dropped from sight, so for a while the only converter that supported
uv-mapping was 3DWin, which only writes uv-mapped mesh2{} (and non-uv mapped
mesh{}). Poseray now supports uv-mapping for both mesh and mesh2, but since
having uv-mapped mesh{} makes little sense (for converted models) it's no
wonder that mesh2 is perceived like the definitive mesh format.

>  Is there something which is impossible to achieve with a mesh and which
>  is possible with a mesh2?

Depends on your definition of "impossible" ;-) Stricly speaking, we can
conclude that mesh and mesh2 are equivalent, but in the real world things
are just more complicated. I just ran a test on Poseray and the uv-mapped
mesh{} equivalent of a uv-mapped mesh2{} is 2.6 time bigger. For a given
amount of resource (disc space, patience...) you can do things with mesh2
you cannot do with mesh. They're not theoretically impossible, for for all
practical purpose, they are. For instance, I'm prepared to handle a 100 Mb
mesh but not a 260 Mb one because I'd run out of time and patience. Also,
I'll be able to put a good number of mesh2{} objects for download on my
website without having to buy extra space...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com