POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Mesh etc. : Re: Mesh etc. Server Time
19 May 2024 10:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh etc.
From: Warp
Date: 6 Mar 2004 04:39:12
Message: <40499c40@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> For me an interseting thing with mesh2 is that it is easier to create
> complex mesh' by using macros within POV-Ray SDL.

  That's curious.
  Every time I create a mesh algorithmically with POV-Ray SDL I find it
much easier to create it with the 'mesh' syntax and much harder with
the 'mesh2' syntax. That's because with 'mesh' you can just create
the triangles and that's it. With 'mesh2' you need to create quite
lot more (basically you need to create all the unique vertex points
and then create index values to them in order to create your triangles).

  The mesh2 syntax is more compact and efficient, but when you are
creating triangles algorithmically it makes it a lot more complicated
to do it the mesh2-way. Creating triangles the mesh-way is easier
(even though not so efficient parsing-speed-wise, of course).

  There are, of course, cases where doing it the mesh2-way is easier,
but in my personal experience rarely.