POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Mesh etc. : Re: Mesh etc. Server Time
19 May 2024 09:03:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh etc.
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Mar 2004 09:45:11
Message: <40489277@news.povray.org>

news:404878cf@news.povray.org...

>   Actually no.

Actually yes ;-)
You forgot uv-mapping which offers uv-mapping on meshes for the masses, and
it certainly made a big difference. I'm aware that uv-mapping is somehow
feasible with a union of triangles (by giving a texture to every vertex),
but it's not exactly a practical method. uv-mapping is one feature that
helped to build a bridge between POV-Ray and commercial applications. We can
now model and texture objects in any modeller and render them in POV-Ray.

Also, I wouldn't play down the smaller size advantage. The mesh2 format
gives mesh sizes which are roughly half of what they are with the old mesh
format. They are created much faster, parse much faster and can be loaded
much faster in an editor if necessary. As a long-time mesh user, this had a
major influence on the way I would use meshes, as it cut down drastically
the time needed to manage them. So, from a user's standpoint, mesh2 is
certainly a new feature, since it allows things that were difficult or
impossible to do without it.

G.

http://www.oyonale.com
- Graphic experiments