POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Max_Intersections? : Re: Max_Intersections? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Max_Intersections?
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 2 Mar 2004 19:38:05
Message: <404528ed@news.povray.org>
> It sets a static limit to the maximum number of intersections POV-Ray can
> handle when tracing a particular ray.  Today there is no technical need
for
> it, but back in the days when memory was limited, it did matter to have a
> static limit.  This keyword will be obsolete once POV-Ray is rewritten
> (thus, it will be done for 4.0).

Ah, then if I raise max_trace_level, I should raise max_intersections as
well? Or is this related to something entirely different?

Do I understand correctly that the "intersection-count" gets incremented
everytime the viewing-ray hits an object? Does it get incremented by two
when the ray gets split into reflective and refractive ray? If I'm getting
too technical, then sorry for the nuisance, but I've always been interested
in how POV-Ray's clockwork looks.

Regards,
Tim

--