POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : IRTC statictics site : Re: IRTC statictics site Server Time
1 May 2024 22:48:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC statictics site
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Mar 2004 22:31:26
Message: <4044000e$1@news.povray.org>
A think an overview of the statistics is a great idea, and an
interesting challenge.  But it is not very clear to me what your site is
telling me.  The tracking of individuals, images, and of topics all
seems to be vying for attention.  Maybe some sort of graphs or charts
showing the profile of the data would help with understanding the
meaning of the display.  Or maybe just more detailed description of what
you intend to show.  Again I think it's a great idea but needs to be
taken a further.  The display of data in a meaningful way is not a
trivial task.  I have a pretty good understanding of the contest and who
the players are and I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what
is shown there.  I would definitely hesitate to refer the page to
someone unfamiliar with the contest.  Again, great idea, great
potential, needs further refinement imho.  The actual scores themselves,
as a comparative thing seem the least interesting to me.  I am more
interested in the people.  Who are the main players, win percentage, who
were the early leaders, who are the later ones.  What you are touching
on is the history of the contest itself.  I think you need to address
how the numbers show that history.

On a further note:

We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with all
the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there is any
trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus returning?
Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree of
participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?  Is
this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
anything more about this trend?

-Jim