POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51 : Re: Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51 Server Time
17 May 2024 04:02:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51
From: John Maynard
Date: 1 Mar 2004 21:54:17
Message: <4043F762.8090903@aol.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
 >>Would you please tell me the POV-Ray Macintosh command line syntax for
 >>specifying an INI file? Thank you!
 >
 > Sure, no problem:  You just specify the full file name on the
command-line.

 >     Thorsten

Thank you, that was very helpful. The files are now coming out
**almost** the same on both computers, now that I'm using the same INI
file on both machines with Display_Gamma=2.00 in both INI files.

There still appears to be a very slight difference between the outputted
files, however. Although RGB pixel values are now pretty much the same
all over, edge detail (anti-aliasing) looks like it's slightly different
between the Mac and PC versions of the scene file. The Mac version looks
slightly "smoother", for lack of a better description, but according to
the INI file the anti-aliasing and jitter settings should be identical:

Input_File_Name=testscene.pov
Width=640
Height=480
Quality=9
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.0
Sampling_Method=2
Antialias_Depth=2
Jitter=Off
Jitter_Amount=0.0
Output_Alpha=On
Output_File_Type=N
Warning_Level=0
Split_Unions=Off
Bounding_Threshold=25
Display=Off
Display_Gamma=2.00

The anti-aliasing differences seem to be more pronounced on shiny
textures, especially ones that have normals with wrinkles. These aren't
computed differently depending on the underlying CPU, are they? If not,
the anti-aliasing algorithms are the same on the Mac and PC, aren't
they? And they didn't change between POV-Ray 3.5 and 3.6, did they?
Thank you.