POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting for Bright Sunlight : Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight
From: Richard Dybiec
Date: 1 Mar 2004 13:27:56
Message: <404380ac@news.povray.org>
John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> It's been a while since I've used POV, but I'm confortable enough so I
> don't need hand-holding answers and I can look things up in the docs
> when pointed in the right direction.
>
> I'm rendering a Gazebo, and I want it to be in bright Dallas sunshine.
> So, one light source in the right spot, and yow, the contrast is too
> high.  The shadows are too dark.  Yea, it really does look like that,
> but the eye adjusts as you look around.  I tried turning up the ambient
> light setting but it doesn't look good.  I threw in a fill-light with
> "shadowless" and it does help.
>
> But any more expert suggestions?  Real light is the bright sun plus a
> general glow from the whole sky.  A huge area light would be
> inefficient.  The "ambient" light is much less under the roof than
> outside, but there's no direct way to say that that I recall.
>
> --John
I generally create the simplest of light arrays, two 'suns', one that
will cast shadows and one thats shadowless.  By adjusting the light
color of each, you can get the degree of contrast you desire.  Adding
two or three 'fill' lights in addition will give you even better
control.  I try to stay away from ambient light altogether, except for
testing geometry.

rd