POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray faster on Windows XP Pro than Windows 2000 Pro? : Re: POV-Ray faster on Windows XP Pro than Windows 2000 Pro? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:07:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray faster on Windows XP Pro than Windows 2000 Pro?
From: Warp
Date: 1 Mar 2004 13:20:57
Message: <40437f09@news.povray.org>
I may remember this wrong, or I might remember something from another
Windows version or another OS altogether, but I have the faint memory
of reading something about Windows 2000 having some truely braindead
task scheduling principle that a process cannot get more than 75% of
the CPU, no matter what.
  That is, if you have only one CPU-intensive task running, Windows 2k
will keep the CPU idle 25% of the time for some braindead reason.

  If this what I remember is right, then in practice this means that you
can never render with POV-Ray at full speed in Windows 2000.
  I suppose the only way you could get 100% of CPU is to run two instances
of POV-Ray rendering eg. halves of the image. (Unless Windows 2000 has
some other weird limitation with regard to this.)

  Hyperthreading doesn't have anything to do with this.