POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51 : Re: Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51 Server Time
19 May 2024 05:50:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different results between Mac 3.6 and POVWin 3.51
From: John Maynard
Date: 1 Mar 2004 08:05:34
Message: <40433525.9030105@aol.com>
Thank you for your reply, but I'm sorry; I don't think I was being
clear. It's not just that the two files **look** different when viewed
on a Macintosh vs. a Windows display--they ARE different. If I open up
both files on my gamma-corrected Windows workstation in Paint Shop Pro 8
and examine the RGB values for pixels at the same location on both
files, the RGB values on the Mac file are **lower**. The PNG file being
rendered by POV-Ray 3.6 doesn't just LOOK darker... it IS darker.

Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> You need to enable gamma correction for your PC.  By default PC settings
> display extremely bright images on screen.  This is the case for all
> programs, not just POV-Ray.  You need to understand that the display gamma
> setting is exactly there for this purpose, and setting it to the same value
> on two systems with a different display gamma cannot possibly work.  You
> need to set it to the true gamma of each system, not the same on both!

I'm sorry, I must be misunderstanding you. Surely you are not saying
that it is impossible to get a scene file to render exactly the same on
Macintosh and Windows?

I don't give a fig that the Macintosh gamma is different from the
Windows workstation--I do all my POV-Ray development on the Windows
machine and the brightness for my scene has been set for the gamma on
that machine. All that I want to do is fool the Macintosh into rendering
the scene file so that it produces **exactly** the same resulting PNG
file that I would get on the Windows machine. From reading the help file
on Windows, it would seem that if I set assumed_gamma to 1.0, POV-Ray
uses the Display_Gamma value that's stored in povray.ini (or
<scenefilename>.ini on Macintosh). If the Display_Gamma is the same on
both workstations, shouldn't I get exactly the same file on both
workstations, or is this not possible with POV-Ray for Mac 3.6?

Thank you.