POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : using an image file as texture : Re: using an image file as texture Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using an image file as texture
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 29 Feb 2004 18:52:20
Message: <40427b34$1@news.povray.org>
> i think i already saw a picture where someone used an imagefile as a
> texture, but i can't find anything about it in the manual. what i want
> to do is render a picture, use it in another picture as a texture, use
> this picture again in anoter one... and so on... to create a kind of
> infinity-effect :)

If you look in the docs, search for "image_map". There are several types of
file-formats POV-Ray understands and several ways to do this. My approach
would be to create a simple #if-statement:

#if (file_exists("image.ext"))
 #declare Texture = texture{With_ImageMap}
#else
 #declare Texture = texture{Without_ImageMap}
#end

For "image.ext" I'd put the output of the current file, e.g. for
"project.pov" this would be "project.ext" where "ext" is either tga, png,
bmp, or however you set POV-Ray to Output your images.

So, once the image is created, it'll use it as image_map and overwrite it.
Render the that scene several times and voila: image in image in image in
image...

Regards,
Tim

--