POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon mapping problem : Photon mapping problem Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Photon mapping problem
From: Skip Talbot
Date: 26 Feb 2004 18:13:51
Message: <403e7daf$1@news.povray.org>
Here is the setup:  I've got about 20 diamonds that are photon targets, and
I'm shooting 30 million photons at them.  It takes about 30 minutes to map
the photons, which is no problem.  However when I add in several hundred
very small diamond objects, the photon mapping process pretty much stalls.
At a count of 30 million it has been mapping now for over 19 hours.  I have
taken lengths to try and prevent the added objects from interfering with the
photon process.  All diamonds have collect off.  The smaller diamonds do not
have the target keyword and pass_through is on.  Because of this I thought
the photons would basically ignore these new objects but apparently not.
Any insight or suggestions available?  Am I looking at simplifying my scene?

Skip