POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... : Re: Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some aid in physics required...
From: Rune
Date: 25 Feb 2004 03:17:40
Message: <403c5a24$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
>> 3500 is the number of "hops" for one particle in
>> one frame? Or...?
>
> Yup, in one frame.
>
>> So you want to reduce it to 1 or 20 when a particle
>> slides along a surface - which are the cases then
>> where you actually DO want the 3500 samples being
>> taken?
>
> The precision-settings will take care of that.

I still don't get it. Am I correct to seem to remember that you said
that your system uses variable time steps? And that is the reason that
there can be as much as 3500 steps per frame? If it is a problem that
your system creates 3500 steps per frame when a particle slides along a
surface, then why don't you just tell it to use fewer steps?

You talk about calculating the slow-down when a particle slides uphill.
Why can you only calculate that with your current model when you use a
huge number of steps? Why doesn't the calculations work equally well
(though slightly less precise) when fewer steps are used?

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Jan 29**