POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... : Re: Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some aid in physics required...
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 23 Feb 2004 18:01:59
Message: <403a8667@news.povray.org>
> If, every time the particle is pulled down by gravity, it is brough back
> up immediately (before the positions are represented on the screen),
> then why is the hopping visible in the animation?
>
> And if it isn't visible, then what is the reason that you want to avoid
> it?

It's not visible, but I want to keep the System slick and fast.

Due to the adaptive technique, results like this occur: dozens of my
particle just require one or two passes through a while-loop to interact
with objects (when an intersection occurs, I redo the loop from that
position onward, as to calculate energy-loss due to the bouncing, maybe
irregularities in the reflection-direction etc). But a lying particle will
do hundreds of passes through the loop as it will quickly bounce onto the
surface (due to gravity) several times during the time that's passing per
frame. That's when my System almost hangs up (the loop will terminate
eventually, it's designed not to keep going on for ever cause some time
amount will always be processed during one pass) and passes the loop like
3500 times for a single particle. Now, add some more trace-calls and a more
complex algorithm inside the loop, and voila: Parsing times skyrocket!
That's not slick and fast. :-) For two such >2500 particles in a bunch of
350, the parsing time went from 0.8 seconds to something around 2 or 3
seconds. Now just imagine a setup where several particles will eventually
come to rest at the end!

Regards,
Tim

--