POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Comments on Animation Scripting.... : Re: Comments on Animation Scripting.... Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comments on Animation Scripting....
From: John VanSickle
Date: 23 Feb 2004 19:49:55
Message: <403A9FAF.C5BE3E7C@hotmail.com>
Marvin Taylor wrote:

> 1) Separate the complex object definition ("character definition")
> from the motion definition ("animation script").  This will localize
> code and allow a "character" to be used in different works  -- even
> allowing different scenes in the same work to be developed separately.

I do this with all of my models.

> 2) Organize the motion chronologically, not by character.  This is
> important in the development process while time lines are being
> adjusted to get the action that is intended, especially when causality
> is to be implied.

I organize by shot.  I have a bit of code to specify which shot is
currently being rendered (based on the time since the start of the
animation).  Based on this shot, exactly one scene file is called.

For instance, I'm working on the 23rd Rusty animation.  The main file
is r#23.pov .  This file calls r#23_s00.inc for shot #0, r#23_s01.inc
for shot one, etc.  Everything that is peculiar to a shot is done or
called from that file.

> 3) Allow exceptions to suggestion #2, so that things which are not
> interrelated can be scripted separately, but happen in parallel.

The titling is called from a separate set of files, named r#23_t00.inc,
and so on.

Regards,
John