POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Crash info and a question : Re: Crash info and a question Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:08:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash info and a question
From: Steve Shelby
Date: 21 Feb 2004 07:38:23
Message: <4037513f@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > The more changes I make to the mesh *without saving*,
> > the more likely it is to crash.
> Really?? Hmmm. Have you noticed any specific pattern, or is it only
> when you hit render?

Only when I hit render.

> I've worked for hours on end without saving and it's never crashed for
> me. But I don't render, that often, either.

Maybe it's just my computer.

> Also, before Moray exports to POV-Ray and renders, it saves the
> current scene in a file called rendering.mdl. So if it crashes during
> rendering or export, that file should contain the scene right before
> rendering.

I was not aware of that. That would save a lot of heartbreak.

> I'd certainly like to look into it. The next time it happens, maybe
> you can send me the rendering.mld file that it saves, I might be able
> to reproduce it.....

I hope I don't have to do that, but if it happens again, I will. ;^}>

> > Is it not possible to add a primitive or mesh object to a
> > mesh and make it part of the original mesh?
> Yes, it is. You can use Copy and Paste in the mesh editor to do that.
> You just have to make sure that you're in Face mode. Then select some
> or all faces, press Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V as often as you like. Note
> that the faces will be copied into exactly the same place and will be
> selected, so it seems as if the screen doesn't change. But if you use
> Translation mode to move the faces away, you'll see you're actually
> moving the duplicates....

That I knew, done it many times, although I discovered the hard way that
when pasting, it has to be in add or toggle mode, or the pasted faces are
irretrievable.

> You can also edit one mesh object, copy some faces, exit the mesh
> editor, select another mesh object, go into mesh editing mode and
> paste it there.... just make sure you don't press Ctrl-C (Copy) in the
> non-mesh-editing mode, since the mesh editors won't paste primitives.

I could have sworn I had tried that already, but apparently not, because it
works! I just found that I could even create a primitive in the same file,
convert it to mesh, copy it in the mesh editor, delete it, and then paste it
back in mesh editor. This will save a lot of trouble in the future. I wish I
had asked about this a long time ago.
Thank you,
Steve Shelby