POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rating at the POV-Museum : Re: Rating at the POV-Museum Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rating at the POV-Museum
From: Marvin Taylor
Date: 20 Feb 2004 12:57:59
Message: <40364aa7$1@news.povray.org>
As one who always wants to learn from others whose works impress me, I'd
much appreciate being able to look for pictures from which I can learn.
  So if I could sort (or easily determine) if they have Complete,
Partial or No Source Available, it'd be very, very helpful.

> It wouldn't really matter if only a sub-set of the curators voted on each
> image - just set an appropriate threshold of votes required before any image is
> made available to the museum in general (assuming that the average vote was high
> enough to warrant the image's inclusion).

That is what I assumed a "curator" would do: decide on what images
should be acquired by the museum.

Having featured "Tour Guides" that have a tour that displays a
collection of their favorite works *and their comments* could be an
interesting/convenient way to view the museum -- especially if one finds
a Tour Guide they trust.

> As a minor suggestion to keep some sort of equilibrium between harsh and
> generous curators, it might be worth applying some sort of function to a vote
> that would help balance things out - in other words a high vote from someone who
> rarely gave high votes would be worth more that a high vote from someone who
> consistently gave generous votes (and visa-versa for low votes).

I suspect that the variable weighting would be cumbersome to implement,
and it could be that that curator simply has REALLY odd taste. :-)
Also, a high vote from someone who rarely gives high votes has already
weighted their vote by doing just that.

Also, should voting be restricted to curators (other than to accept or
reject a submission)?  Just as any bloke can write a review and submit a
rating on Amazon or IMDB, why not allow this in some fashion?  It
doesn't matter a lot until there is too much content to peruse easily,
but at that point it would be helpful, perhaps.

Here are some other ideas:

- Ratings are averaged, not points accumulated.  No average is shown
   until a minimum number of ratings have been received for the image.
   (Okay, maybe the Curator's rating...)

- Premier members (or some other name, but ranked between a curator
   and a regular member) have their ratings shown separately.  How
   would someone be granted Premier membership?  Dunno.

- Multiple ratings are shown: Curator Rating, Premier Rating, and
   Overall Rating.

- "Memberships" are free, all members can comment and rate images
   on several characteristics, like artistic, technical, the code
   submitted (if any), etc.

- I can't quite determine how, but it might be possible to somehow
   limit the number of points members can reward; either on the basis
   of time (N per week), or the basis of how many images that have
   been submitted.  (The latter implies they would actually view
   all/most of them, though, I think.)  This conflicts with the average
   rating concept.

[Okay, if all of these were implemented it would be really cumbersome,
I think. But it's given as food for thought.]