POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rating at the POV-Museum : Re: Rating at the POV-Museum Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rating at the POV-Museum
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 19 Feb 2004 20:29:09
Message: <403562e5$1@news.povray.org>
> Perhaps I should not answer because I am repeating myself, and you
> already know how I stand on this. IMHO you are describing a voting
> system for the www.POVidols.com site. The original suggestion was to
> create a POVmuseum. No offense meant, there probably is a market for
> POVidols also. I am not sure I would visit the site myself though.

First of all: the link you gave doesn't work, it's either offline now (but
googling didn't show up anything either) or you were trying to point me to a
certain style of www-type of gallery. So if the following thoughts don't
fit, perhaps clarify for me what you meant with POV-Idols-Site and how it
deviates from POV-Museum.

Now, to the point: if there are ten people picking what images are to be
displayed, maybe their taste differs from mine so much that, in the end, I
wouldn't like the museum at all. So, maybe that's just me, but we're trying
to come up with an idea that will make the site worthwhile for old and new
Povers, right? Additionally, I believe in interaction. It's not like I want
thousands of subscribers to vote. But if there are 10 curators for a museum
with an audience that come from about 150 miles off in the real world,
what's a good relation for a museum that can be visited from everywhere on
the planet?

But, don't just let people subscribe. Have them show some qualification,
e.g. some work with POV-Ray to show that they know the basics and
fundamental differences between POV-Ray and every other Modelling/Rendering
App like 3D Studio Max or Cinema 4D. Have them point a few images of their
own to show that they do know the topic on which they'd be voting. And thus,
you get competent curators for the museum. Not 10, maybe even more than 100,
but still, they're competent.

Now, the larger the number is, the less likely is it possible to say: Let
each curator decide for one image, since there's limited bandwidth and
webspace. And that's where my idea of the voting system comes into play.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>