POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC Proposal... : Re: IRTC Proposal... Server Time
18 May 2024 07:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Proposal...
From: Jim Charter
Date: 19 Feb 2004 12:23:51
Message: <4034f127$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

> Have you experimented with Radiance?
> http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/HOME.html

Haven't tried it, interesting app though.  I am slowly making my way to
doing a Linux install.  Time and money are the factors mostly.
> I watched a program about Vermeer last night. He had some jaw dropping
> light effects. I wasn't familiar with him before, but I'm definitely a
> fan now.
He's pretty easy to like.  And the fact that only this small ouvre of
paintings remains with almost no information about his life.  The
romantic fantasy of many a painter/artist I suspect.  The beauty of my
paintings becomes my identity, not the squalor of my actual life.

I felt hugely happy with myself when I saw that he was fond of
> a coloring technique with which I have been personally experimenting.

He favours thinly applied paint and the primaries, yellow:blue:red.
Like Mondrian.

> want to order a print of 'Girl in a Red Hat', but I'm not sure I can
> find one which represents the actual size (looked about 9" tall on the
> program).

Yes, maybe an overlarge postcard?  Personally I have completely given in
to the seduction of seeing small, intimate paintings blown up to poster
size.  There is too much of it around.  It takes too much energy to
resist.  But it is a bit vulgar. Voyeuristic.

On the other hand it is also de rigor in university art history courses
where materials are presented through projected slides.  And such
courses can marry a very sensuous with an intellectually enrichening
experience.  And, the same with posters, there is the feeling of getting
inside the artwork in a way.  Maybe the modern appreciation of art is to
violate it?