POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rating at the POV-Museum : Rating at the POV-Museum Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Rating at the POV-Museum
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 17 Feb 2004 22:06:11
Message: <4032d6a3$1@news.povray.org>
Let me offer my additional praises for this idea and the cool interface.

I believe that it would be helpful for all of us to see the "best" images,
and it's great that you're starting to look at a ratings system. Let me
offer my comments on ratings systems.

1) I've seen ratings wars break out at zazzle.com, where apparently people
were rating an adversaries' images "1" and friends of that person were
making three hundred "10" ratings in one evening.  While the povray
community is highly egalitarian and exhibits a high level of comraderie,
we've never seen outbursts of immaturity, have we??   I've also seen
absolute rubbish with two dozen "10" votes, most likely from the creator him
or herself.

2) I've seen a newspaper set up a poll which asks readers "Do you like this
comic? yes/no"  for every comic strip they were buying.   I noted that the
lowest-rated one, "Doonesbury" was still there two years later.   They
apparently knew their poll was bunk as far as how to run a newspaper. They
probably figured out  that maybe only 30% of readers liked Doonesbury, but
maybe 30% would quit reading without it.

I think that the key is to have a concept of "cost to the voter" for saying
they like something.   One way is to give voters "X" points to which they
can give to images they like, another way is to only ask for their favorite
ten, and that ten can change from week to week when new entries come in.  I
suppose an immature bloke could still cheat on this system, and one way
would be to register 100 userid's.