POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light Cycle animation questions... : Re: Light Cycle animation questions... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Cycle animation questions...
From: Carl Hoff
Date: 17 Feb 2004 00:20:22
Message: <4031a496@news.povray.org>
> In answer to question 1... I'd say have a look at the Clock Modifier
> macro by Chris Colefax, if you haven't already. It's at:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/index.html
> Can create repeat events in various ways, and using
> 'frame_number/final_frame' as a parameter should work.

Thanks... I've just downloaded it.  I'll take a peak and see what
I can get it to do.

> For question 2... use a clocked linear 'spline' path for the bike,
> and perhaps apply the trail line in the same way (with a object
> for the line). I'm not sure about the prism idea. It would certainly
> need to be done in such a way which doesn't have the texture
> intersecting with other points.

Why?  I just ran this little test...

  #include "colors.inc"
  camera {location  <30,-30,-10> look_at <2,2,2> angle 20}
  light_source {<500, -700, -150> 0.7*White}
  light_source {<150, 1000, -800> 0.6*White}
  light_source {<1000, 100, -200> 0.7*White}
  light_source {<-500, 1000, -1500> 0.5*White}

  box {<1,1,1>, <5,5,5> pigment {Red}}
  sphere {<0,0,0>, 3 pigment {color transmit 1.0}}

and the sphere doesn't seem to cause any negative effects on
the cube.  So I was thinking as long as the tail had this texture
ahead of the bike it'd be ok.  It would just become visible after
the bike at passed over it.

> If you use a single already-completed object, that could be a
> problem. Best thing might be an object which forms as it moves
> along, and a 'sphere_sweep' might be good for that. Just need
> the values given to it to change with time.

Having the object form as it moves might be as easy as having
a texture that changes as it moves.  I like the sphere_sweep
idea but the trail isn't a series of cones and its a little more then
just changing the values passed to the sphere_sweep.  You'd
also have to be able to change the number of values.  Only the
last one is moving. Given a few days I'm sure I'll figure something
out but I'm not sure it'll be the most efficient solution.

Thanks,
Carl