POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Disapearing Pigment... Why, Georgia, why? : Re: Disapearing Pigment... Why, Georgia, why? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disapearing Pigment... Why, Georgia, why?
From: Dan P
Date: 12 Feb 2004 17:21:46
Message: <402bfc7a@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> "Dawn McKnight" <d-m### [at] spamlesscoxnet> wrote in message
> > So, I'm doing a pigment layered by y-distance from the origin.  It looks
> > great when I do the othagonal view from the positive Z and X directions,
> > but when I render it from the positive Y direction, the object disapears
> > from the render!  Why do it do that?
> >
> > More importantly, how do I make it not do that?
> >
> Well, it's not a bug - orthographic cameras will do that unless set up
> correctly. Best post an example scene and then someone who feels
comfortable
> with orthographic will be able to explain what's happening.

Just for gits and shiggles, try adding this to your camera:

camera
{
    orthographic
    location <0, 0, 0> // or wherever.

    up y
    right image_width / image_height * x
}

The  last two lines always ensure that your picture doesn't get "stretched".
So circles are circles, boxes are boxes, etc. (technical term is aspect
ratio: if you have an image that is 400 x 300 pixels, the width (x) is
1+1.333 times the height, so your aspect ratio would be 1.333:1 -- plug
1.333 into "right" and tell POV-Ray which axis is "up" (y) and it make sure
that your objects are rendered with an aspect ratio of 1::1 regardless of
the aspect ratio of the image).

If I have some terminology wrong on here, somebody correct me please. I
don't speak well.