POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strangeness with Parallel Lights : Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights
From: Hughes, B
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:18:52
Message: <402a39cc$1@news.povray.org>
You guys are starting to confuse me... Only joking.

I had forgotten how parallel lights treat fading so I gave it a look in a
few renders by building on Phil's example scene (see image). Maybe this will
help a few people understand parallel lights a little better.

http://www.3digitaleyes.com/parallel_light.jpg

Maybe this picture is worth a thousand words-- or at least a paragraph.  :-)

I know the documention tells how fading (attenuation) is same as for
ordinary point lights but I wanted to be sure if that meant for all
directions and not just the point_at one. I probably knew already but
couldn't remember. The blue cones are where the light sources are and where
they point. Inside the box is a yellow cone to show that 'parallel'
direction and shadow; no shadow in opposite direction, as per the
documentation (unidirectional).

Bob H.