POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possibility to assign photons to certain material? : Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material?
From: andrel
Date: 10 Feb 2004 13:27:24
Message: <4029224A.1050703@hotmail.com>

>> But materials can't be targets, only objects can.  The only way you
>> can implement this is to make every object somehow 'inherit' the
>> photon settings of its material.  But this would not be obvious to the
>> user so it will just cause confusion in most cases.
>

> Materials can't be targets, true, but materials are allways assigned to
> certain objects, so yes, objects should inherit the photon settings. I
> thought this is obvious as there simply can't be an occurence of
> material without an object it is assigned to. And the whole point was to
> let material specify if an object needs photons. That is logical - same
> way as you might assign CAUSTICS keyword to certain material.

Just my thoughts on this. I think inheritance in this case is
a bad idea, especially if you combine it with 'target off'.
The properties of an object can then change with
the order in which the parts are added together.
Photons as a material property makes sense, but that would
probably mean a large rewrite of the code (if even possible).
Also it may break existing code.

    Andrel