POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : QTPOV Editor : New version (special Shay) : Re: QTPOV Editor : New version (special Shay) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:51:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QTPOV Editor : New version (special Shay)
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 9 Feb 2004 07:57:51
Message: <402783cf$1@news.povray.org>
> Some time ago I wanted to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 and the result was a
> complete mess-> I had to reinstall my system.... Could you post a
> version that works with qt-3.1?
>
> I have a Mandrake 9.2

I have Mandrake 9.2, too. And yes, the first time I installed 3.2 it
ruined my system, too. I got it working now, however.

Here's what I did (But I'm just another Linux newbie and I'm not
responsible for anything here :)

You need Qt3.2 only for *compiling* the thing, it will *run* with Qt3.1,
too (Now that was hard to understand for me).

I installed Qt 3.2 *without* deinstalling Qt 3.1, so that I now have
Qt3.1 and 3.2 installed on my system (I installed it the normal way,
setting the environment variables like described in the README and using
./configure && make && make install, but in another directory than 3.1
which is in /usr/lib/qt3 on Mandrake 9.2).
You mustn't set the new environment at system start, however, because
KDE won't start with them. Instead, create a bash script which sets them
for you and call it like this before compliling the app:

$ . qtvars
$ qmake
$ make

(when the script is called qtvars, of course). Notice the ". " (dot
space that is) before the filename, so that the environmental variables
will be taken over to your current shell.

FYI: Qt3.3 was released these days. Perhaphs you want to go for that
instead.

If you don't want to install Qt3.2 I can send you a compiled version.
Don't know if it will run on your system though, although there should
be no problems. To be on the safe side, include some system information
like processor (i386,...,i686 etc.).

HTH
Florian