POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Searching a specific image... : Re: Searching a specific image... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Searching a specific image...
From: Dan P
Date: 7 Feb 2004 13:53:28
Message: <40253428$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Galvin" <tom### [at] imporg> wrote in message
> "Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in
>
> > It still baffles me how much this open-source renderer can
> > do.
>
> FYI, POV-Ray is not open-source.  http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html

Ah, I read what you meant in the license and I see where the
misunderstanding is. When I say open-source, I mean that the source is
included with the product so that, if there are bugs, you can fix them
yourself instead of having to rely on the creators to. I also mean that many
people are working on it, not just one closed company headed by some
marketting guy and a middle manager who got to his job because he couldn't
code :-). Some people are going to confuse that with "free to go and make
money off of and take credit for", or something, which isn't in the spirit
of copyright and in that environment. Nobody would give release their code
because they wouldn't be acknowledged for their hard work (and writing
software is /hard/, which is why so few people can do it decently). The GNU
public license addresses this issue really well too (just like the POV-Ray
license).

> > The developers are truly talented individuals.
>
> Yup

*Raises beer glass, tink, swig* Here here.