POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Stuck for ideas : Re: Stuck for ideas Server Time
19 May 2024 10:48:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stuck for ideas
From: Markus Altendorff
Date: 7 Feb 2004 08:36:22
Message: <4024e9d6$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> I'm kind of having the opposite problem to Duncan. I don't want to copy
> anything! I'm heavily influenced by a lot of sci-fi (much of which is probably
> considered classic), but what I want to do is take inspiration from that and
> create something original.

I see that this could be a problem with something called "Classic
Sci-Fi". My first mental images were Flash Gordon serials and
spaceships with little fireworks for an engine... :-)

> But this poses a major problem: If I create an original idea, will it be off
> topic?

Maybe... wouldn't it be much easier if the topic were "Classic

> How exactly do we define something as being on topic for this round?

Dunno... but in my opinion, it's hard to be off-topic with this
topic anyway - just do something that has been done before ;-)

> e.g. would you count the film "Galaxy Quest" as classic sci-fi? I think not!

In a way. It shows all the elements of "classic sci-fi": Advanced
technology, space travel, time travel, aliens, peril, good vs.
evil, cheap thrills... of course it does twist it all into a
parody, but it's nevertheless "classic" sci-fi material. (i don't
say that these elements are "good" or "valuable" by themselves...)

Not really able to provide an answer:
-Markus