POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Velvet curtains? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Velvet curtains?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Feb 2004 18:36:32
Message: <40203080@news.povray.org>

news:401fd81e$1@news.povray.org...
> I'm looking to render some hanging velvet curtains, like you might see
> in front of a stage at a theatre. I haven't any idea, however, where to
> start with such a texture/shape. Are patches/splines the only way to
> handle it?
>
> I'm kind of looking for something where I could give it a bounding box,
> say, and have it be the right size, rather than hand-crafting a specific
> curtain for each size doorway I'm putting a curtain into, but I'll do
> the latter if that's the only way.
>
> Has anyone already done this and would be willing to give me hints or
> even texture declarations?

Velvet textures are quite angle-dependent and this is not supported in
regular POV-Ray. You need the angle of incidence pattern of MLPov
http://martial.rameaux.free.fr/mael/mlpov083.html for this.

In regular POV-Ray, this can be more or less faked using the slope pattern
if the objects are not too large (I've used the trick on small furry animals
but I don't know how it looks on velvet curtains).

#include "colors.inc"
#declare cam_location=-z*10;
#declare cam_look_at=0;
camera {
    location cam_location
    right     x*image_width/image_height
    look_at   cam_look_at
}
#declare Position=<4,0,0>;
light_source{<100,100,-200> White*2}
blob{
    threshold 0.6
    sphere{0,1.7,1 translate -y}
    sphere{0,1.7,1 translate x+y}
    sphere{0,1.7,1 translate -x+y}
    texture{
        slope {Position-cam_location,0,0.5}
        texture_map{
            [0.3 pigment{Red} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.3 specular 0.1
roughness 1/100}] // inner
            [1 pigment{Red} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1 specular 0.1
roughness 1/100}] // outer
        }
    }
    translate Position