POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Velvet curtains? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Velvet curtains?
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 3 Feb 2004 12:31:29
Message: <401fdaf1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren wrote:
> I'm looking to render some hanging velvet curtains, like you might see
> in front of a stage at a theatre. I haven't any idea, however, where to
> start with such a texture/shape. Are patches/splines the only way to
> handle it?
>
> I'm kind of looking for something where I could give it a bounding box,
> say, and have it be the right size, rather than hand-crafting a specific
> curtain for each size doorway I'm putting a curtain into, but I'll do
> the latter if that's the only way.
>
> Has anyone already done this and would be willing to give me hints or
> even texture declarations?

I have not done it, but how about simply using a prism object? Define a
spline and sweep it along a straight line. The spline defines how flat
or wrinkled the curtain is and then you just sweep it to get correct
curtain height. At least the curtains of the window next to me look like
they can easily be modeled like this. But if the curtains are not freely
hanging then you must use some other method.

Severi S.