POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur: bug or a feature? : Focal blur: bug or a feature? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Focal blur: bug or a feature?
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 3 Feb 2004 07:57:48
Message: <401f9acc$1@news.povray.org>
The scene below results odd and disturbing black artifacts (black
pixels) in blurred areas. The reason is too high variance: 1e-5 is not
small enough. One can get rid of these artifacts by setting variance to
0. This happensi in most scenes and basically means that in order to
have good looking FB one has to use variance 0 allways.

The question is: what causes POV-Ray not to react when trying to set a
lower variance than 1e-5 that is still >0?  If I write 1e-6, for
example, the resulting image will be identical. Is this a bug or a
feature? And is it caused by focal blur calculations, parsing the float
or simply lack of precision in 64-bit floats - or something totally
different?

*Testing more*

Oddly, when I set variance 2.0133175e-322 or smaller, the artifacts
disappear. I didn't want to iterate more digits :)

PS. Version 3.5 on Windows.

Regards,
Severi Salminen

-----------------------------