POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Draw Vistas Option : Re: Draw Vistas Option Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Draw Vistas Option
From: Carl Hoff
Date: 1 Feb 2004 16:36:09
Message: <401d7149@news.povray.org>
> I don't think that scaling ever slows down any ray tests. What
> happens is that all the scaling, rotations and translations for an
> object are combined during parsing into a single transformation
> matrix. Applying the resulting matrix goes at the same speed
> whatever type of transformation is being applied.

Interesting... But is this case you are then fitting a scaled sphere
inside a scaled sphere bounding shape and telling me its faster
when its bound by a box.  What sort of shape would render
faster being bound by a sphere if its not a sphere?  It doesn't
sound like using a sphere as a bounding shape would be all that
useful.  I assume I'm missing something.

Carl