POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program : Re: Meshcomp 3.0 beta3 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshcomp 3.0 beta3
From: Warp
Date: 30 Jan 2004 05:05:18
Message: <401a2c5d@news.povray.org>
StephenS <ssh### [at] ottawanet> wrote:
> When the program is working on a large file(Optimizing), I can't go to
> another program (POV-Ray) and back to check if it's done. The WinMeshcomp
> window is unresponsive.

  That's normal because the program is calculating in a busy-loop and does
not listen to Windows' queries.
  I don't know how Windows programs are made "responsive" even while they
are making heavy calculations. I suppose that they have to make some
system call once in a while or something similar. Does anyone have a tip?

> test.inc 2 392 097 bytes
> test.pcm 2 785 121 bytes ("PCM4",)
> I didn't expect the file to be bigger.

  The mesh2 format is already pretty minimal. The only thing where pcm
could save is in additional syntax.
  The "PCM4" format is not completely identical to mesh2 and may in some
cases store more information than necessary. It depends a lot on what
the mesh2 contains.