POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta test version of the new mesh compressor program : Re: Meshcomp 3.0 beta3 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshcomp 3.0 beta3
From: StephenS
Date: 29 Jan 2004 21:22:58
Message: <4019c002@news.povray.org>
>   I updated the zip file.
When the program is working on a large file(Optimizing), I can't go to
another program (POV-Ray) and back to check if it's done. The WinMeshcomp
window is unresponsive.

As a reference file I'm using:
Ingo's 'Meshmerizing Mesh Maker Macros package'
mesh_demo\p_sphere.pov
changing line 27
from: 200,100,""
to: 200,100,"test.inc"
This produces a mesh2, the begining of the file looks like this.
#declare Surface = mesh2 {
  vertex_vectors {
    20301
    <8.9916e-013,0.899161,0>....

If I select this file for input and select 'go', no problem.
If I select 'Optimize normal vectors with error tolerance 0.001'
and select 'go'
I get 'Optimizing...' this is taking a while so I go to do other things.
Select another program, POV-Ray.
Try to go back to Winmeshcomp, no responce.

Another observation:
Original file(20301 vertices, 40000 triangles)
test.inc 2 392 097 bytes

WinMeshcomp (no options selected)
meshcomp -y C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.5\include\mesh_demo\test.inc C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.5\include\mesh_demo\test.pcm
Found mesh with 40000 smooth triangles and 40602 points.
Done. ----
test.pcm 2 785 121 bytes ("PCM4",)
I didn't expect the file to be bigger.

Do these set of include files make an incompatible mesh2 object for
Winmeshcomp?

Stephen