POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera look_at question : Re: Camera look_at question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera look_at question
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 21 Jan 2004 17:29:14
Message: <400efd3a$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, the point of look_at is to provide a center on which the image
> focusses. For the actual camera focus, focal-blur using a different
> focal_point might achieve what you're after, since it can effectively blur
> the look_at position (given the right scene).
>
> Aside of that, how about moving look_at somewhere else? I don't get why
> you'd want the camera to behave irrationally and look at something
different
> than look_at. :-S

For the same reason as large format cameras have the ability to move the
film plane (shifting) so that the center axis of the lens does not point at
the center of the film. This allows quite interesting (and many times very
useful) perspective corrections/alterations. It is not about focal blur. I
think this is what Tom wants to accomplish? Basically this can be
accomplished by rendering only a portion of a larger image, but it is an
"ugly" way to do it.

POV-Ray lacks a couple more or less useful things such as defining the
direction focus plane when using focal blur, the shifting (as above) etc.
These would be useful things to add at some point.

Severi Salminen