POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : f_ridged_mf parameter question : f_ridged_mf parameter question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  f_ridged_mf parameter question
From: Tom Melly
Date: 20 Jan 2004 10:48:47
Message: <400d4ddf@news.povray.org>
Is there a faq anywhere explaining in greater detail the usage of the various
parameters for f_ridged_mf.

The docs are a help, but can be a bit sparse. For example:-

"P3 : Offset gives a fractal whose fractal dimension changes from altitude to
altitude. The high frequencies at low altitudes are more damped than at higher
altitudes, so that lower altitudes are smoother than higher areas "

Now, should I increase P3 to get rougher high areas or reduce it? And what sort
of range should I be working with?

and again:-

"P4 : Gain weights the successive contributions to the accumulated fractal
result to make creases stick up as ridges"

Once again, to I reduce p4 for ridges or increase it? And what to?

Basically, I would like to know in more detail the effect of each parameter on
the shape and on the usable range of values that would sensibly be applied. I
know I should be able to work this out for myself by trying different values,
but whilst it's not hard to see that ridged_mf's have changed, it can be tricky
trying to see out how it has changed...

--
#macro A(V,B,C,R)#while(B-256)#if(V-128/B>=0)sphere{0,.5translate<C-4R-1,9>
pigment{rgb<1-C/8R/2C/8>}}#local V=V-128/B;#end#local B=B*2;#local C=C+1;#