POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio : Re: changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio
From: Warp
Date: 13 Jan 2004 19:23:24
Message: <40048bfc@news.povray.org>
Harold <bai### [at] 3dculturecom> wrote:
> >   If you change the aspect ratio of the rendering resolution and the
> > camera adjusts automatically to that using "right
> image_width/image_height",
> > the image will be adjusted vertically so that part of the image from the
> > up and bottom sides will go out of the image (if changing to a wider
> > aspect ratio) or some extra scenery will appear at the top and the
> > bottom (if changing to a narrower aspect ratio).

> Yeah, that is usually what I want. I wouldn't want the x or y dimensions
> distorted.

  That was not my point. Read it again.

> The few times I've made custom Windows start up images I have rendered
> them in 4:3 aspect ratio then compressed them to half width in Paint Shop
> Pro.

  The problem is that the 320x400 resolution does not have a 2:3 aspect ratio,
so half-width won't do it. (The aspect ratio is 4:5 to be exact.)

> Guess one could do it directly with the camera statement.

  No, you don't need to do anything abnormal with the camera statement.
Just define a default 4:3 camera (ie. you don't need to specify any
'right' vector) and render at 320x400 and you'll get an image which
looks ok when viewed with your monitor set to 320x400 resolution (as
it is when the Windows startup image is shown).