POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 : Re: Poser 5 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5
From: Dan P
Date: 13 Jan 2004 19:14:51
Message: <400489fb@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
news:In1### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Dan P who wrote:
> >
> >Argh. I'm hating the fact that there just aren't enough clothes available
in
> >the install.
>
> Including the contents disk, Poser 5 comes with over 200 items of
> clothing. (OK, many of them are specific to one character, so there's
> only about 50 items of clothing that fit any particular character
> without tweaking them yourself or using something like Tailor).
>
> That's not bad at the price, considering how much work goes into
> building clothes models from scratch.

Yeah, I'm still trying to master that. Not liking the Poser manual either.
When I finally figure this stuff out, I'm going to write my own tutorial to
set this thing straight.

> There's also an awful lot of free poser clothes out there. Some of it is
> quite reasonable, but it does tend to be mainly exotic and fantasy
> clothing.

Yep, but... well, the struggle... I like the struggle. :-)

> You can tweak any of the clothing items by changing the textures, using
> transparency maps to cut bits away, scaling parts of the clothing, using
> deformation maps, applying magnets, etc.

Sure, but does this work with specular highlights as well, or do those just
come out looking like clear plastic?

> The transparency map technique can be particularly useful. You can cut
> down any existing item of clothing. If the clothing item doesn't come
> with a template, then use UVMapper (free) to generate one. Paint a
> transparency map image black for the bits you want to cut away and white
> for the bits you want to keep.

Thanks for the ref to UVMapper! I'll get that one for sure.