POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio : Re: changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: changing to right-handed system and aspect ratio
From: Warp
Date: 13 Jan 2004 15:28:53
Message: <40045505@news.povray.org>
Harold <bai### [at] 3dculturecom> wrote:
> I also like to use a camera with image_width / image_height for the right.
> Then I can change aspect ratio at render time without changing the script
> file.

  That's actually not really true.

  If you change the aspect ratio of the rendering resolution and the
camera adjusts automatically to that using "right image_width/image_height",
the image will be adjusted vertically so that part of the image from the
up and bottom sides will go out of the image (if changing to a wider
aspect ratio) or some extra scenery will appear at the top and the
bottom (if changing to a narrower aspect ratio).
  This might not always be the desired effect. You might want the extra
stuff to disappear/appear from the sides, not the top and the bottom,
or you might even want a combination of both (eg. when widening the
aspect ratio you want some stuff out from the top and bottom and
extra scenery appearing from the sides).
  Depending on what you want you will probably need to adjust the camera
parameters anyways.

> Are there drawbacks to this method that some of us are not aware?

  Some drawbacks are listed above.
  An additional drawback is that if you really want to keep the 4:3 aspect
ratio even though you are rendering with a resolution having a different
aspect ratio (eg. a 320x400 image for the Windows startup image), your
automatic camera setting will produce the undesired effect (ie. the aspect
ratio of the image is not kept to 4:3), thus you need to edit the camera
parameters again.