POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 : Re: Poser 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5
From: gonzo
Date: 11 Jan 2004 00:48:34
Message: <4000e3b2@news.povray.org>
> > "GreyBeard" <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote in message news:4000a697
> >
> > Perhaps a good way to do this would be to create a patch in
> SPatch/HamaPatch
> > that generally conforms to the same dimensions of the chair (but with
> > considerably less detail). When Poser exports the scene to Wavefront
.obj,
> > and then PoseRay exports the .obj to .pov, the chair will be isolated in
> > your .pov file. Then, just replace the chair patch with your real chair
> (in
> > what ever method you used to make it -- very likely not a patch, of
> course,
> > if it is made in PovRay alone).
> >
> Been doing basically the same in Wings3d, just boxes, once it's posed,
> delete the prop and  export only the figure.   Works, but clumsy.

This is where standardized units are handy.  I always use Ft & In in POV, so
I made a ruler-grid wall prop for Poser with the Ft & In marked on it, then
I can pose my figure next to the wall and put hands, feet, whatever in the
right place.  That way one prop works for all scenes rather than have to
make dummy props for every scene.

That's how I placed the referee's hand on the ropes in my IRTC decay entry
(http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2003-10-31/champ_rg.jpg).   I knew the
rope at the corner is 4'5" and drops 2.5 inches in the middle, so I raised
his hand to 4'3" and it was almost perfect.  Works for sitting, leaning,
anything you know the dimensions in advance. (Actually I don't even need to
know in advance if I'm modelling it in POV, since I can set it to exactly
the dimensions I want)

I even used it once to pose a guy on a unicycle. I just needed to know the
distance from the lowest pedal to the seat, and the distance between pedals,
and it worked great.  The hardest part is figuring out your scale in Poser,
which doesn't seem to match any other modeling program I use...  In the end
I just decided the default poser guy is 6Ft tall and worked from there.

RG