POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questions on a friday afternoon : Re: Questions on a friday afternoon Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questions on a friday afternoon
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Aug 2008 08:51:30
Message: <3q4lb4pfhi71h0t0dfmo3fk2knfofoeono@4ax.com>
On 31 Aug 2008 08:34:45 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>> I'm not from MK either. ;) But I pronounce the wrongly-written "i" the same way
>> as I pronounce the first "i" but shorter, as in lit. Assuming, of course that
>> the "i" in lit is pronounced like "it".
>
>  That's not what I hear from the voice sample here:
>http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equivalent

Yes, that is the Received Pronunciation if you take away the American accent :)
Having said all that, it does not excuse Andrew from bad spelling and laziness
in not spell checking. But it goes a fair way to his misunderstanding why you
asked what "equivilent" means. It probably read like the equivalent of an
allophone

>  I don't remember ever hearing it pronounced otherwise...

Come to the UK, travel away from the "home counties" and I will be surprised if
you can still say that.

Who said that life would be easy? :)
--

Regards