POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : selecting several thousand lines in pov file : Re: selecting several thousand lines in pov file Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: selecting several thousand lines in pov file
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Sep 2003 11:12:02
Message: <3olj31-pms.ln1@triton.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Warp wrote:

> head -n 17361 mesh2.pov | tail -n `expr 17361 - 8605`
> head -17361 mesh2.pov | tail +8756
> head -17361 mesh2.pov | tail +${17361-8605}

Not using -n is not a documented feature AFAIK and my version IMO is
much better to understand for someone not so fluent in shell programming.

Concerning use of 'cat' - of course it is never necessary to use it for
one file but it produces much more readable code in many situations,
especially if the program used requires the stuff from stdin (and you
would have to use 'program < mesh2.pov').

Christoph

Last updated 17 Jun. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______