POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : uv_mapping with the checkers pattern : Re: uv_mapping with the checkers pattern Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping with the checkers pattern
From: Mike Williams
Date: 19 Oct 2005 10:52:22
Message: <3iCO3BAg2lVDFwKs@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Noam L. who wrote:
>I'm trying to move a sphere in an animation, and I notice that the
>checkers pattern doesn't "stick" to the sphere.
>I tried using uv_mapping but then only the first color of the checker
>is used as the pigment of the sphere.
>
>How do I move a sphere and make the initial checkers pattern "stick"
>to it?

  texture {uv_mapping pigment {checker} scale <0.1, 0.147> }

With uv_mapping, the part of the texture that would normally cover the
square from <0,0> to <1,1> is mapped to the whole surface, even if the
sphere is much larger than that. But for the checker pattern, each of
the coloured checkers is a 1x1 square, so to see any pattern you need to
scale down.

[Because the pattern is in uv-space instead of xyz-space, only the first
two dimensions of scaling are meaningful.]

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure