POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: PoPOV - first build : Re: Announce: PoPOV - first build Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: PoPOV - first build
From: ABX
Date: 11 Oct 2002 02:36:20
Message: <3hrcqukq4jsqjeon217557u7pac2gnn552@4ax.com>
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:02:30 +0200, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> "push any responsibility for bad working to every one named Popov involved
> in POV communiuty ;-)"
>
> - i guess Peter will be 'not amused' ;-)

I hope :-)

> "Enviroment for DOS compilation under DJGPP 2.3 with GCC 3.2 compiler
> including correct 8.3 names for all files from POV and involved libraries"
>
> - sounds like an awful lot of work introducing nothing but incompatibility
> with other POV-Ray versions.

No. The only file in POV-Ray necessary to have short name was benchmark.cpp.
Not a big deal. And only library not compatible with 8.3 filenames was libtiff
so not a big deal either. I don't plan to distribute sources of libraries so
only incompatibility can be on mentioned benchmark.cpp. Further djgpp
compilations works fine with long filenames on Win 95/98 but fails on NT
becouse of NT's implementation of shell.

> I would strongly suggest you switch to a
> more decent system - this would simplify things for both you and others
> (when possibly using source files from you in their own compilations).

Well, I on NT4 I will prepare multiplatform compilations. Just have to
complete setup of whole multicompiler enviroment. I wanted to build shared
tree for sources and taht's why mentioned note in "What's new".

> Apart from that it looks nice.

Thanks. Have you tried it ?

ABX