POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is the most marketable skill? : Re: What is the most marketable skill? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the most marketable skill?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 8 Jan 2004 18:42:07
Message: <3ffdeacf$1@news.povray.org>

news:eSZv4LAYwc$$Ew+$@econym.demon.co.uk...

> I've noticed that things like Poser and Paint Shop Pro now come with
> Python scripting built in. I guess that companies are finding it easier
> and cheaper to bolt application specific objects, functions and methods
> onto Python than it would be to develop their own SDL from scratch.

Blender uses Python and Softimage can use several scripting languages
including Python. However, my short stint with Blender demonstrated one
major problem, i.e. compatibility issues between versions of both
applications/languages (scripts written for a particular Blender version
with a particular version of Python that didn't work in other versions).
Apparently, apart from Softimage, other big names in 3D still have their own
C-light SDL : Maxscript for Max, Mel for Maya, Lscript for Lightwave, Coffee
for C4D etc. Probably, that allows them to keep a tight integration between
the application and the SDL so that both can evolve together smoothly.
In any case, for these applications, most of the additional programming
(plugins) seems to be done through SDKs using C/C++ so that this is an area
where a programmer with CG experience could find work.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com